Sunday, November 16, 2014

A Long Fall...

No, I didn't trip...Post title refers to one of the most extended autumn seasons in recent memory.  Well, in my mind at least.   Aren't there years when just as we're about to enjoy the scarlets and golds of the landscape...POOF!..they're gone!  And seemingly overnight!
This year, I can't tell you how many days (weeks!), I was able to trek about town and amass tons of colorful photos!  Of course it's helped that we had a wonderful run of perfect weather.  Cool enough for photosynthesis to take effect yet warm enough for foliage to remain intact.  Oh, Glorious days!
 Neighbors' bright Ginkgos take my breath away every
time I leave and return home!  Please don't ask how many times I've pulled over for pics.
Even on the cloudiest days they provide sunshine!
 If you grow Japanese maples, this was their best year, wasn't it?!  I've added 3 new varieties to my garden this year....though just saplings, I can't wait for their 'show' next fall.
Leaf-peeping goes hand in hand with birding so don't forget to look up!  I actually heard this cute little White-Breasted Nuthatch before I saw him.
And you can't mistake the "Coo, coo, coo"s of a Mourning Dove...
I'm truly lucky to be 10 minutes away from this beautiful walking trail of the Raritan River.
I try to avoid peak crowd hours though and time it when the sun lights the landscape just so...
Maples usually turn to shades of red so this golden hue was a very unusual and very special find! 
As was this soft pink seedling...I'm sure due to heavy shade on woodland floor. 
 Not much to share in the way of garden blooms.
Seeds of  these butterfly weeds (Asclepias tuberosa) are just bursting open.  Hopefully, they'll land and take hold in a fertile spot...multiplying my collection.
Also of late interest are seed heads of Clematis terniflora, commonly called Autumn Clematis. 
A volunteer in my garden this year...maybe a trellis will be added at it's base.
Hope you enjoyed the Fall colors.
Thanks for visiting!  Until next time...

5 comments:

  1. What glorious colours, you must live in such a beautiful area. We've had a lovely long autumn too - still so many leaves on the trees, and some of them even still green! And next year's snowdrops are already coming up - usually February!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn! Your pictures are so great! I would enjoy walking that trail and admiring all the colors! Our summer was very long, best ever - they say, and our fall is pleasant too. I try to understand why two of my Japanese maples don't change their color; it happened last year too. Bad soil, not enough sun? Hmm...
    Back to your pictures - each of them deserves to be a card or a print! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lynn! Glad you peeked <3 My eyes are now on those Japanese maples and that last clematis vine. They are beautiful beyond description :-) Thank you for these glimpses of your home. We are experiencing lots of stormy rains lately and most of the plants outside right now are waiting for me give them some attention haha... Btw, your daughter must have inherited some of those 'green finger' genes from you :-D And hey hypertufa pots make succulents look so beautiful! I am sure your garden will look really pretty come spring. Have a blessed season! Cheers, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though we had snow and bitter cold this week, it really was a lovely fall up until then. I still had flowers blooming all the way till last Monday. And the autumn colors were fabulous! Well, now it's over till next year, and I just have to hold on till spring! Beautiful shots Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Japanese maples were incredibly beautiful this year. The fall has already slipped away with just a few telltale signs left.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead.
Make My Day.
And leave a comment...won't you?!