Saturday, July 31, 2010

Pond Life

There are days when I have the free time to spend putzing in the garden. Be it to weed, deadhead, or provide the much needed watering, I find lately I've not had the desire to do so. Instead, I spend the hours just snapping away ~ hundreds of photos that no one will ever see. It's Good Lovin' garden therapy at it's best! Do you have days like that...it's wonderful, isn't it?!

The new pond and it's inhabitants are thriving! Our school of 8 kois are still accounted for and getting big! Frogs, dragonflies, even the daily morning visits from the 4-legged creatures I'm always complaining about...all bring the pond to life and it's been so enjoyable. Maintenance have been minimal 'though full sun exposure evaporates the water level more quickly than I would like, but, that's easily fixed. Of course I won't tell you about the time I left the hose running for 8 straight hours....OOPS!

I'm soo in love with these water lotuses. In bloom now for two weeks, they are just the most beautiful flowers! Pale, almost translucent pink petals with a deep pink edging~they take my breath away...

Sturdy stems reaching almost 3ft., the blooms are about 6" when fully opened.

So wishing you could reach through and smell how sweetly scented they are!

Look at these cute little Forget-Me-Nots blooming at the waters' edge. Oh, but please don't look at the dead brown moss behind it...lol!


Critters~


Up close...


...and personal. Maybe a little too personal.


Although the late varieties of daylilies are in bloom, the majority of these beauties have just plain tuckered out. The record breaking hot temps have quickened and shortened bloom season a good two weeks.



Ok, so don't be upset, but, as much as I'd looked forward to the heat of summer, I am now anxious for the coolness of fall. Hmmm...maybe a gentle slap is what I need to snap me out of it...right, Rene? ;)
Enjoy the last day of July!

7 comments:

  1. What a treat - to see these gorgeous lotuses! Unbelievable. Thank you Lynn!Great shots of creatures! Don't speak loud about the fall yet, please... Our summer was late to start, and we don't mind some very warm days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn I forgot you got a pond for your birthday. It looks wonderful! I can tell you are enjoying the heck out of it!!! I sure miss reading your posts more frequently but I can't complain as I don't post as much as I use to either because I've been too busy outside working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is beautiful and I know just what you mean about getting caught up in snapping pictures. It really is a way for me to slow down and appreciate even the tiniest things in my yard. When I'm reviewing my photos inside my husband will say, where's that??? He will not have even noticed some flower I shot and he spends wayyy more time in the yard than I do.

    Your dragon fly shots are incredible. Thats my goal this weekend is to find one in my yard and capture it (in a photograph).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice insect shots!! These are always my favorite--who cares about flowers? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your dragon fly photos. From the camera perspective, it looked like a giant bug. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn, yes, I too, am looking forward to the cooler weather.
    Let your instincts guide you, they are spot on...
    shorter season means the less time you have to enjoy...time to be *Mary now, Martha can wait :)
    *because sometimes Rene needs footnotes http://www.houseandhome.org/story-of-martha-and-mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynn, I'm so glad to see your new pond. I can imagine a whole ecosystem of life inside this beautiful pond. The lotuses are devine and so lovely. I have a water feature too and I have 9 kois. My kois loves to jump up and eat the algae growing on the stones. The water feature is My Dear's territory, so I have one less thing to worry about.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead.
Make My Day.
And leave a comment...won't you?!